Please welcome Eric Hunter, PhD - Deputy Executive Director, National Center for Voice and Speech to the Center on Aging.
Pilot Grant RFA Deadline
JANUARY 17TH DEADLINE - CALL FOR PILOT GRANT APPLICATIONS FOR UTAH OLDER AMERICANS INDEPENDENCE CENTER SUBMISSION
Two-page applications for pilot and exploratory studies are requested to be considered for inclusion as part of the Center's OAIC grant application. These applications must pertain to the proposed theme of the Utah OAIC – vascular aging and mobility – and involve the use of one or more of its resource cores. Please see the links below for details.
The CoA Pilot Grant program will be offered later in 2012. We expect to release the call for proposals by May 2012.
For more information, contact Ginger Bair
New Grant Award
Maureen Henry has been awarded a Borchard Foundation Center on Law and Aging Academic Research Grant for 2012. The grant will support a study on the Physician Order for Life Sustaining Treatment (POLST) form that will evaluate whether POLST forms reflect patient wishes.
Research Retreat & Call for Posters
Save the Date for the 2012 CoA Research Retreat - March 20 & 21, 2012.
3/20/12 – 3:00-6:00 – Center on Aging Research Retreat Reception & Poster Session – HSEB 2nd floor atrium & room 2120 (south side of Alumni Hall)
- One of the important parts of the Research Retreat is the opportunity for Center on Aging faculty and their students to display and discuss their scholarly work in the field of aging.
- You (or your graduate student or trainee) are encouraged to contribute a poster for display during the poster session. Student/trainee submissions will be eligible to compete for the "Best Student Poster" award.
- The poster session will highlight the 2011 CoA Pilot Grant recipients.
- Please submit the following information to Ginger Bair by March 1st to reserve your space at the poster session:
- Names of author/co-authors
- Title of your poster presentation
- Do you need table space for other materials?
- Do you wish to present more than one poster?
- Poster submission information (PDF)
3/21/12 – 8:00-Noon – Center on Aging Research Retreat Lecture Session – CoN 2nd floor auditorium
- Keynote Speaker - Dr. Jeanie Wei, Chairman of the Reynolds Department of Geriatrics and Director of the Reynolds Institute on Aging at the University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences (UAMS) – link to her faculty bio.
More details coming soon on the Retreat info Web page.
Center on Aging Membership Directory
As a mostly virtual Center, we depend on the accuracy and timeliness of our Web presence. Center members are urged to review and update their membership directory information. Please view your information on the Center's Web site (click on your photo to see the detail page) and send any updates or requests for changes to Ginger Bair.
About our Logo
About our logo: The bristlecone pine tree (Pinus longaeva) -
the earth's oldest inhabitant with a life span of 4,000 years -
is found only in Utah and five other western states.
Its extraordinary longevity and ability to adapt and
survive in extremely harsh environmental conditions
above 10,000 feet embodies the investigative spirit
and mission of the Utah Center on Aging.
Mark A. Supiano, MD
Executive Director - Center on Aging
For more information about the University of Utah Center on Aging, please visit us online at www.aging.utah.edu