Annual Research Retreat
The Center inaugurated its now annual research retreat in March 2007. Retreat activities include a welcome reception and poster session the afternoon of the first day for CoA faculty, students/trainees, and the currently funded pilot grant recipients. The following day's morning session includes a keynote address from a prominent external gerontologist.
Vascular Aging Research Retreat - March 20 & 21, 2012
3/20/12 - 3:00-6:00 - Reception & Poster Session
HSEB 2nd floor atrium & room 2120 (south side of Alumni Hall)
This year's poster session had the largest number of posters (35) and the largest attendance to date (approx. 75 different attendees and 50 at one time at peak). It was held in the HSEB 2nd floor atrium & room 2120 (south side of Alumni Hall) on Tuesday 3/20/12 from 3:00 p.m. - 6:00 p.m. Link to photo album.
- Poster Handout - including poster titles authors.
- 11 Student/trainee posters competed for the "Best Student/Trainee Poster" award. Marilyn Luptak and Ginny Pepper were the judges.
- 2 posters tied for first place:
- Falls in older adults treated by the University of Utah Trauma Service by Shawnie Holt et al
- Disparities in Physical Function and Emotional Well-being in the Frail Dual-Eligible Older Adult by Kathy Wright et al
3/21/12 - 8:00-Noon - Vascular Aging Research Symposium
College of Nursing 2nd floor auditorium
The Vascular Aging Research Symposium was held at the College of Nursing Second Floor Auditorium on Wednesday 3/21/12 - 8:30 a.m. - 12:00 p.m. There were approximately 55 in attendance. Link to photo album.
If you missed any of these presentations, you may view them online:
- 8:30-9:30 - Keynote Address - "Nuances of Cardiovascular Disease in Seniors: New Ideas for Old Hearts" - Jeanne Wei, M.D., Ph.D., Professor and Chair, Donald W. Reynolds Department of Geriatrics and Executive Director, Donald W. Reynolds Institute on Aging
- 9:30-10:15 - "Aging and Arterial Senescence: Putative Role of Telomere Function" by Anthony Donato, Ph.D.
- 10:30-11:15 - "Oxidative Stress, Aging, and Exercise" by Russell Richardson, Ph.D.
- 11:15-Noon - "Arterial Stiffness in Geriatric Hypertension: Mechanisms and Management" by Mark A. Supiano, M.D.
Previous Keynote Speaker(s) - also see the previous retreats page.
- 2007 - Robert Kane, MD and Rosalie Kane, PhD; University of Minnesota
- 2008 - Jeffery Halter, MD; University of Michigan
- 2009 - John Wilmoth, PhD; UC- Berkley
- 2010 - Tim Smeeding, PhD; University of Wisconsin
- 2011 - Steven R. Counsell, MD, and Robyn L. Golden, MA